Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Dispatches From The Road

Carl and I have begun another of our road trips.  Destination Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.  I hope ya'll enjoy the trip with us.  Our trips may not take us to the most lavish of accommodations, but some certainly have been interesting.  Our first stop for the night will be in Tucumcari, New Mexico.  There are some eclectic/vintage hotels in Tucumcari.  Tonight's stay was built in 1939.  Pictures to come tomorrow.

I find these road trips very relaxing, but then I am not driving.  My treat of the day was an Orange Julius at a DQ in Childress.  Of course, the reason the chicken strips and OJ tasted so good may have been because I was starving.  One realization is there aren't too many places to stop and eat along the highway in west Texas. 

We're back on the road entering Clarendon,Texas.  Obviously, a very, very religous town.  The highway goes through the center of town, along the sides of the road at nearly every business were 5-8 foot crosses.  Most look to be made out of pipe and painted white.  These are not temporary structures.  In front of businesses are signs, not cheap ones either, with religous rhetoric claiming the end of the world is close at hand.  I am all for freedom of religion, but that was way over the top. Carl, on the other hand, advocates freedom from religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment